5.23.2010

r.i.p. lost


i'm still on the fence about this season though there have been some stand out episodes. maybe it's because i want a "six feet under" finale and i'm not sure i'm gonna' get it. so many questions...so many UNANSWERED questions and i really want to believe they'll get answered but unlike locke, i don't have that much faith. but...i could be wrong. in fact, i HOPE i'm wrong.

the locke poster was done by olly moss who's aesthetic i appreciate, especially due to his obvious love for saul bass.

i'm obsessed with saul bass, he makes me wish i was/had become a graphic artist and it wasn't until i got into high school that i realized he had done some of my most all-time favorite film posters for some of my all-time favorite films. for example...

he also did the original the shining movie poster. which is my favorite horror film, next to the exorcist.

when i first saw the shining, besides being scared shitless, the opening scene and the steadicam shots made me want to be a cinematographer. it also made me realize that horror films can be artful, well-written and psychologically manipulative. not just blood and guts with buxom women falling down in the woods when they actually get a chance to escape.

maybe if i had made the saul bass connection early on, i would've taken it as "a sign" and followed that course. or maybe not. either way, it's amazing what an influence he's had on modern culture.

one for the road

2 comments:

  1. This poster makes me want to see Love in the Afternoon! I guess that's what he was paid to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great. Glad I remembered to add your blog to my daily roster.

    ReplyDelete